Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Limited Palette Study - Cascading Roses, oil painting

Roses Limited palette study
Oil on canvas panel
15x15cm (6x6inch)
Available on Daily Paintworks

I used a limited palette of alazarin crimson, ultramarine blue and cadmium yellow medium plus titanium white.

Using my painting 'Over the garden wall' as a starting point, I wanted to see if I could bring the flowers to life with only the one red. I used Jackson's titanium white instead of my normal Winsor and Newton brand and was surprised at the lovely pink obtained as sometimes pinks can be a bit dull when using alazarin crimson. I worked quickly and very loosely as I didn't want any definition, and I like the spontaneous result obtained.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...