Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Calla Lilies Alla Prima oil painting

I've set myself a task to do 101 daily paintings related to my gardens, to try and loosen up my style. I did a few featuring the lemons and oranges from my trees but now that the flowers are blooming I am using those and painting en plein aire when possible. I am taking the liberty of cross posting in this blog.
Here is one of the calla lilies


White Calla Lilies Oil painting by Marion Hedger
27cm x 19cm (11"x8" approx)
Oil on canvas board
Painted alla prima wet in wet.
Contact me about this or any other painting HERE

I'd like your opinions. I am quite happy with them when I paint them (I have several iris paintings which I shall post later) - but when looking at them later, they leave me less than satisfied.

I am always undecided on whether or not to leave well enough alone (and use as a ref to see if I am improving), or to rework some of the areas and bring them up to a more finished piece. Or is this my nitpicking and fiddling side taking over.
All comments welcome.

PS I do like sloshing that thick paint around.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Marion,I am a new member to your blog and I must say, I am very impressed by your blog and the beautiful art that you have made in it. If I may, in my opinion you may feel like you want to leave this one alone but sometimes by reworking the piece as you know, can also produce more fantastic results. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, as you are certainly a highly accomplished artist, but I would add more details to finish it off and see where it goes from there. Otherwise, this is a beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary. Thank you for your ingsightful comments. I agree, with you entirely. I have altered the painting somewhat and will post the results later today. I'd love to hear from you if you think it is an improvement.
    Although a small painting, it had something in it that I liked so I thought it was worthwhile trying to take it one step further.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...